Beginning with the Class of 2020, seniors at Elizabethton High School will be enrolled in a new course designed to teach postsecondary success skills.
The course, “Success! Skills for Excelling in College and Life,” will be co-taught by EHS teachers and Milligan College professors. Students enrolled will receive three hours of college dual enrollment credit.
The college credit hours earned through this course may be applied as humanities credit hours at most colleges, and it does not prohibit students from participating in dual enrollment with other colleges. These credits count towards students’ success milestones outlined in Tennessee’s Ready Graduate indicator accountability metric. If students have already met their Ready Graduate metrics or have scheduling or other conflicts, they may opt out of the course.
The course will focus on developing and demonstrating skills that are needed to succeed in college, the workplace and life. These goals and expectations complement those in the freshmen Cyclone Experience course. Skills will include time management, professional communication, leadership, decision making, career management, fitness/health and study skills.
The original idea for the course was developed over the course of several conversations among EHS teachers and with members of Milligan’s Academic Affairs Department to address college dropout rates and the ability of graduates to acquire a job and excel in their chosen field.
Student Learning Outcomes for the course include:
- Students will develop and implement skills to increase their college and career performance.
- Students will develop an increased appreciation of their capabilities and attitudes toward life through assessments taken during the course. Assessments will include a learning inventories checklist.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of how their capabilities, strengths and interests can be used in a variety of jobs.
- Students will develop an understanding of how to conduct a job search and of materials needed to support a job search.
- Students will develop an understanding of the skills and behaviors needed to participate and succeed in various interview settings.
- Students will develop an understanding of personal branding and social media presence.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate in a professional manner.
- Students will develop an awareness of mental health and fitness strategies to maintain a healthy lifestyle.