Legendary quarterback Tom Brady has announced his retirement after 23 seasons in the NFL, a year to the day after last year’s short-lived decision to leave the game.
“I’m retiring. For good,” he said in a video posted to his social media accounts. “I know the process was a pretty big deal last time, so when I woke up this morning I figured I’d just press record and let you guys know first,”
The 45-year-old leaves the NFL as arguably the greatest player of all time, winning seven Super Bowls between the Patriots and Buccaneers in a career that spanned from 2000 to ’22. His most recent title came in Super Bowl LV, at the end of his first year with the Buccaneers.
Here is a look at Sports Illustrated’s coverage of Brady’s career and retirement announcement:
Feb. 1, 2023: Tom Brady announces retirement (again)
Brady made the announcement via his social media accounts, saying he was retiring from the NFL, “for good.”
News and reaction from Wednesday, as the 45-year-old ended days’ worth of speculation around his playing status since the Buccaneers were eliminated from the NFL playoffs:
- Watch Tom Brady’s official retirement announcement
- How we’ll know it’s for good this time
- Brady made yet another shrewd choice by retiring
- Sports world reacts to Brady’s announcement
- Brady is still the fantasy G.O.A.T.
- One year ago today, Brady retired the first time
SI Vault: Some of our top stories from Brady’s career:
- 2005 Sportsperson of the Year Award: Why Tom Brady Is the Ultimate Teammate
- 2009: ’I Am Pushing Myself ... There Is Nothing I Can’t Do’
- 2012: Tom Brady, As You Forgot Him
- 2017: The Brotherhood of Brady, From Michigan to Now
- 2017: Avocado Ice Cream? Therapeutic PJs? We Take on the TB12 Method.
- 2017: The Zen Winning a Fifth Super Bowl Has Brought Tom Brady
- 2021 Sportsperson of the Year Award: Brady’s Victory Over Time Itself
SI Cover Stories: Brady’s Super Bowl victories:
- Feb. 3, 2002/SB XXXVI: Patriots Stun Rams Behind Their Transformed Coach and Oh-So-Cool Quarterback
- Feb. 1, 2004/SB XXXVIII: Brady, Patriots Fight to the Finish to Beat Carolina
- Feb. 6, 2005/SB XXXIX: Brady, Bill Belichick, Pats Win Third Super Bowl
- Feb. 1, 2015/SB XLIX: Despite Controversies, Patriots, Brady End Title Drought
- Feb. 5, 2017/SB LI: Brady Seals Status As Greatest Quarterback of All Time
- Feb. 3, 2019/SB LIII: With History Hanging in the Air, Brady, New England Win Again
- Feb. 7, 2021/SB LV: Brady Does It Again, This Time With the Bucs
Tom Brady: The Sports Illustrated Covers