BRISTOL, TN- The Bristol Pirates earned an extra-inning 6-5 walk-off win against Kingsport on Saturday night.
The win came on Dale Murphy Night. The former Atlanta Brave met with fans and signed autographs prior to Saturday's game. He also threw out one of the game's first pitches.
Murphy suited up for the then Kingsport Braves back in 1974. Kingsport played its game at that time at J. Fred Johnson Stadium.
Murphy would go on to shine in Atlanta, named a 7-time all-star and winning two National League MVP awards.
But before all of that he was just a kid from Portland, Oregon, shipped to the Tri-Cities where he was trying to make a name for himself.
"I had no idea where I was going and back then, pre-internet days, you didn't really know that much about the Atlanta Braves organization," said Murphy. "There wasn't really anywhere to get that information, so I was pretty nervous. I think I hit in the .250's there and generally in the league. I was just a tall, skinny kid trying to figure it out. A lot of good memories, I can't believe it's been that long."
- Bristol police officer honored at BMS night race
- Kurt Busch wins the Night Race at Bristol
- Police: Man arrested after hitting glass door while trying to flee
- Storm Team 11 Forecast: Foggy Start With Scattered Showers & Storms Possible Today
- 2018 Play of the Week: WEEK ONE
- Boil water alert issued for Russell County, VA
- Kingsport Police investigating possible shooting
- Softball team honored by community after returning from Little League World Series
- Local girl returns to the Tri-Cities after 6 months of chemo
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A man is facing charges after he tried to pass a counterfeit bill then ran into a glass door while trying to flee, according to police.Read More »
For the second week in a row, the ETSU football team held a Saturday night scrimmage under the lights inside William B. Greene, Jr. Stadium as part of its 2018 fall camp.Read More »
Friends and family gathered at the Carver Rec Center on Saturday for a big surprise sendoff for former ETSU basektball star, Tianna Tarter, who will be playing professional basketball overseas this year.Read More »