KINGSPORT, TN (WJHL) – Kingsport police report a woman was killed in an early morning crash at the intersection of East Stone Drive and Stonebrook Place. One of the drivers, a wanted man, is facing charges in connection to her death.
The crash was reported around 6:40 a.m. That portion of road way was shut down for hours.
Police say two SUV were involved in the crash — both of the vehicles were Chevrolet Blazers.
KPD says a 1996 Blazer driven by Brian Johnson was traveling eastbound on East Stone Drive the vehicle swerved to the left, for unknown reasons, cross the center line and struck a 1998 Blazer head-on.
Tiffany Moore was killed in the crash.
The driver of the 1998 Blazer suffered serious injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.
Johnson, police said, was seriously injured, but ran away. He was later captured on Arbulus Avenue near Bloomingdale Pike.
Johnson was taken to a hospital for treatment.
Johnson faces the following charges:
1) aggravated vehicular homicide
2) vehicular homicide
3) aggravated assault
4) vehicular assault
5) driving under the influence (4th offense)
6) driving on a revoked license (1st offense)
7) leaving the scene of a crash involving death and personal injury
8) possession of stolen property (stolen license plate on vehicle)
9) possession of unlawful drug paraphernalia (marijuana pipe)
10) failure to comply with financial responsibility (no insurance)
11) also wanted on multiple preexisting outstanding arrest warrants from other jurisdictions
The crash continues to be investigated by the KPD’s Traffic Unit.