Tennessee veterinarian warns pet owners of toxic algae exposure

News

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL) – Just days after three dogs in North Carolina died from toxic algae exposure, a Tennessee vet is warning pet owners about stagnant water.

Doctor Carolina Glyn Ervin with VCA Murphy Road Animal Hospital says even a small amount of algae can be deadly to pets.

In the summertime heat, bacteria can grow fast in standing water, and that could be contaminated with blue-green algae.

At this time, health officials say there have been no cases of toxic algae in Tennessee.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss