NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Community Heroes: Gregory Dorton serves his country overseas, works as a Special Missions Aviator
- Johnson City Salvation Army short on bell ringers this holiday season
- Fire at Rocky Hill Lane in Kingsport displaces three, burns two structures
- Storm Team 11: Cold start Thursday with a pleasantly cool finish
- Kiwanis Park holds ribbon-cutting ceremony for new BlueCross Healthy Place Community Hub