NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Real estate partners plan to renovate downtown Johnson City building
- Questions about cost of Hepatitis A booster shot, health officials encourage second dose of vaccine
- Community Heroes: Carter County Army veteran becomes voice for fellow veterans in need
- Escalating clashes outside Bristol abortion clinic lead to harassment suit
- Bill looks to put money in local communities to fight veteran suicide