NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- A few showers or a stray storm possible early tonight with a better chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms on Friday
- Kingsport city employee tests positive for COVID-19
- Second stimulus check: Could payments be limited to those making $40,000 or less?
- TDH: 57,153 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Tennessee, 50 new local cases
- Kingsport P.D. asking for help locating missing juveniles