NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Missing man’s remains found in machine at South Carolina plant
- TN caretaker charged after woman left in hot car
- Paul Whelan’s sister ‘crushed’ by Biden’s call to Griner’s wife
- Police: Fourth of July mass shooting plot targeting Dogwood Dell stopped with help of ‘hero citizen’
- Comey, McCabe faced rare, intensive tax audits by IRS under Trump appointee: report