NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Sen. Kerry Roberts of Springfield called for eliminating higher education while speaking about attending a recent abortion legislative hearing on his conservative radio talk show on Sept. 2.
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
For the latest news, weather, and sports alerts right at your fingertips, download the free WJHL News app! Available from Google Play and the App Store.
- SWVA baseball team in “turmoil” after coaching shakeup
- Saliva guitarist Wayne Swinny dies after brain hemorrhage, band confirms
- Hard Rock Hotel’s guitar tower gets OK, will ‘forever change’ the Vegas Strip skyline
- Bob’s Dairyland to close after more than 70 years
- Following recent collapses, Americans’ trust in banking industry sharply declines: poll