NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Roanoke woman celebrates her 106th birthday today with more than 2,600 birthday, greeting cards
- Bison rips woman’s pants off at South Dakota state park in attack caught on video
- Man arrested on Broadway in Nashville for violating mask mandate
- Bald eagle shows air superiority, sends $950 drone into lake
- Bristol, Tenn. PD asks public for help in locating missing man last seen August 3