NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Minority Enterprise Development Week: Mayweather Boxing & Fitness
- Ballad Health: COVID hospitalizations continue to drop, 2 more children receiving care at Niswonger
- Which states are you most likely to die in an animal attack?
- Newsfeed Now: Federal warrant issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito case; DC shutdown looms as lawmakers at odds over budget
- Gunman identified in Collierville Kroger shooting; victims now up to 15