NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Washington Co. Commissioners vote to prevent school budget cuts, rebuild budget
- ‘We will not quit’ Summer Wells search teams continue even as members face exhaustion
- Today’s ask the Storm Team Question: “What’s the difference between heat lightning and normal lightning?”.
- Partly cloudy overnight with a mix of sun and clouds Friday – Staying warm
- Last Chance! Strawberry Full Moon tonight marks last Supermoon of 2021