NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Storm Team 11: Mountain snow continues, showers elsewhere tonight
- Planters pauses Mr. Peanut Super Bowl promotion following Kobe Bryant’s death
- Washington Co. Commission to discuss declaring support for Second Amendment
- Johnson City Which Wich employees say they received no notice when restaurant closed days before Christmas
- Route 615 in Buchanan County to be closed for six months