NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Community Heroes: Washington County, TN Purple Heart recipient serving veterans in need of financial advice
- TBI: Endangered child alert issued for Greene Co. 3-year-old
- Storm Team 11: Mild and dry through the weekend
- ‘They possibly wouldn’t survive it and I don’t think I could live with myself if that was the case’: Home health nurse makes extra sacrifice on Thanksgiving
- ETSU men’s basketball loses to Austin Peay on last-second layup