NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Local Army chaplain attends Honor Flight ceremony
- Salvation Army seeking volunteers for Angel Tree program, Red Kettle campaign
- 2-year-old German Shepherd will forever look like a puppy due to rare genetic condition
- Country music icon Ronnie Milsap to perform in Gatlinburg in February 2020
- YouTube to disable comments on kid-focused video, cracking down on ads