NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Senate OKs $1.9T virus relief bill
- ETSU Eagle Cams: 2nd eaglet hatches at Bluff City nest Saturday morning
- Cheating during remote testing is a problem. Now there is a fix
- BVPD searching for woman after hit and run; victim hospitalized
- Two strangers use conch shells to carry on tradition of honoring health care workers