NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Republican Tennessee lawmaker says he supports getting rid of higher education because he argues it would cut off the “liberal breeding ground.”
Roberts specifically called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights. He asserted without evidence that the woman’s beliefs were a “product of higher education” and claimed that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
The senator did not immediately respond to a request for further elaboration.
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of the state’s $38.5 billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.
- Looking for a new pet for the family? Check out today’s Tails and Paws
- ETSU lands 3-star point guard Marcus Niblack
- Judge’s vote by mail ruling draws vastly different responses from voters
- Science Hill to hold graduation under the lights at Kermit Tipton
- Democrats want to eliminate qualified immunity doctrine