KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – State Representative Rick Staples (D-Knoxville)
has filed a bill that would decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana statewide if passed.
As introduced, House Bill 1610 would also allow counties to hold referendum elections to authorize the growing, processing, manufacturing, delivery and retail sale of marijuana.
This comes as State Senator Janice Bowling (R-Tullahoma) filed a senate bill to allow for the use of medical marijuana.
The bills will be filed this week as Tennessee kicks off the 2020 legislative session on Tuesday.
This is a developing story and we’ll continue to update the details as they become available.
- COMMUNITY HEROES: Kingsport American Red Cross volunteer committed to helping victims who have lost hope
- Air bag woes force Honda, Toyota to recall 6M vehicles
- ETSU Player of the Week: Jada Craig
- Opportunity House warming shelter in Greeneville to remain open through Wednesday night
- TriCities Adult Prom to benefit area animal shelter