KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Interstate 40 is closed in both directions in downtown Knoxville due to an overturned tanker truck carrying hazardous materials.
This will be an extended closure, Mark Nagi, a spokesperson for the Tennessee Department of Transportation said.
Over the next couple of hours, crews will attempt to upright and offload the tanker truck, which was transporting potentially hazardous materials, Nagi said in a tweet.
Interstate 40 West is closed at Interstate 275 and Interstate 40 East is closed at Interstate 640 on the west side of the accident, Nagi said.
When cleared, westbound traffic will reopen while eastbound traffic will remain closed.
This is a developing story that we will be updating.
- 66,000 missing boxes of cookies leave central Texas Girl Scouts scrambling to fill orders
- Pal’s Photo in a Flash winner January 16th
- Greeneville FD: No injuries after Thursday night fire
- PHOTOS: Olympic rings arrive in host city on barge into Tokyo Bay
- Bill introduced in Virgina would award state’s electoral votes to winner of national popular vote