GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is closings its visitor centers and the Elkmont Campground for the rest of Thursday.
The facilities are being closed because of weather conditions, park officials said around midday Thursday.
The following park roads are closed due to high waters and debris along the roadways: Little River Road from Laurel Falls Trail to the Townsend Wye, Wear Cove Gap Road, Greenbrier Road, Cherokee Orchard Road, Lakeview Drive, and Upper Tremont Road.
Backcountry trails remain open throughout the park, but trailhead access is limited due to road closures.
Hikers are advised to alter their routes to avoid trails with river crossings or to wait until the rivers recede.
For the most up to date information about road closures, follow SmokiesRoadsNPS on Twitter. Visitors may also call the Park’s Road and Weather Information Line at 865-436-1200.
- Increasing clouds with scattered showers tonight – Sunshine Thursday afternoon – Heavy rain by Sunday
- Ask Storm Team 11: Preventing frozen pipes
- TOUR: Officials say Lee County Community Hospital set to open Summer 2021
- Former ETSU standout guard Cromer on players kneeling: ‘It’s just to highlight something that’s obvious in today’s world’
- Kingsport to begin reopening of leisure services facilities