RUTLEDGE, Tenn. (WATE) – Grainger County authorities recovered a drowning victim on Monday after a man went missing while swimming at Cherokee Lake on Sunday.
Authorities in Grainger County recovered the body of Victor Baltzor Perez, 20, just after 9 a.m. Monday. Perez was reported missing on Sunday.
Dispatch responded to a report of someone going underwater while swimming and not resurfacing at the Olen Marshall Lake Access just after 4 p.m. Sunday.
Witnesses reported two brothers were swimming when one went under and failed to resurface.
Recovery operations began and continued until 8:30 p.m. The search was resumed at 8 a.m. Monday.
- Northam signs bill making Virginia first southern state to green-light recreational marijuana
- VDH: New COVID-19 death in Scott County, 59 new cases in Southwest Virginia
- Group fighting to keep Robert E. Lee statue up in Richmond asks Va. Supreme Court to deny briefs filed by residents seeking its removal
- Knoxville community marches following release of bodycam video of officer-involved shooting at Austin-East
- University of Texas will require Longhorn Band to play controversial fight song, will create new band for opposers