The 12 people killed in Friday’s mass shooting included 11 city employees who had served Virginia Beach for more than 150 years in total.
City officials honored the victims in a somber slideshow shared Saturday, the same day Police Chief James Cervera identified the assailant as DeWayne Craddock, an engineer with the city’s utilities department. He was killed in a gun battle with police officers.
Another media briefing regarding the shooting at the municipal center is scheduled for Sunday at 10:30 a.m.
Virginia Beach officials have said they will only utter Craddock’s name once, employing an increasingly common public information strategy aimed at limiting mass shooters’ platforms and preventing copycat shootings.
Four other people were injured in the shooting, including three who remain hospitalized in critical condition.
President Donald Trump issued an order Saturday that the United States flag will be flown at half-staff until sunset on June 4 to recognize the victims and families involved in the Virginia Beach shooting.
The flag will be flown across the country, and at embassies and other U.S. agencies across the country.
The order can be read below:
All Virginia state flags will be lowered to half staff across the state until sunset, June 8.
The move was made by State Gov. Ralph Northam Saturday morning as a way to honor the memory of the victims of Friday’s shootings in Virginia Beach and those recovering at the hospital
The victims have been identified as:
- Laquita C. Brown: Public Works employee – 4 years, Right-of-Way Agent, Chesapeake
- Tara Welch Gallagher: Public Works employee – 6 years, Engineer, Virginia Beach
- Mary Louise Gayle: Public Works employee – 24 years, Right-of-Way Agent, Virginia Beach
- Alexander Mikhail Gusev: Public Works employee – 9 years, Right-of-Way Agent, Virginia Beach
- Katherine A. Nixon: Public Utilities employee – 10 years, Engineer, Virginia Beach
- Richard H. Nettleton: Public Utilities employee – 28 years, Engineer, Norfolk
- Christopher Kelly Rapp: Public Works employee – 11 months, Engineer, Powhatan
- Ryan Keith Cox: Public Utilities employee – 12.5 years, Account Clerk, Virginia Beach
- Joshua A. Hardy: Public Utilities employee, 4.5 years, Engineering Technician, Virginia Beach
- Robert “Bobby” Williams: Public Utilities employee, 41 years, Special Projects Coordinator, Chesapeake
- Michelle “Missy” Langer: Public Utilities employee, 12 years, Administrative Assistant, Virginia Beach
- Herbert “Bert” Snelling: Contractor, Virginia Beach
There is now a support page to help the victims and the family.
You can support families by clicking the following link.