Propane tank causes house explosion in Bristol, VA; 3 injured


WASHINGTON CO., VA (WJHL) – Emergency crews took three people to the hospital after a home exploded Thursday morning in Washington County, Virginia.

Virginia State Police identified the three residents as Carl Johnson, 69, Sandra K. Johnson, 55, and Jason C. Johnson, 33.

Hospital officials said Sandra is in critical condition, Carl is in fair condition and Jason was treated and released.

Thursday morning, dozens of emergency responders combed through debris that blew into neighbors’ yards. Fire from the explosion also burned nearby power lines.

News Channel 11’s Micah Smith was able to speak with a neighbor who witnessed the explosion. She said that a “loud noise woke her and her husband up around 5:30am when an explosion shook her home and blew out the windows of her home and van.”

She said that when she looked out the window and saw her neighbor’s home on fire. Other neighbors pulled a man from the debris, and they found another man in a tree.

Multiple people were inside the home at the time of the explosion. Right now there are no reports of any deaths.

Goodson Kinderhook Fire Chief has confirmed that three people inside the home were hurt, but injuries were non-life threatening.

He says the cause of the explosion was a propane tank.

The explosion happened on Camp Ground Road in Washington County, Virginia.

News Channel 11 reporter, Micah Smith, and photojournalist, Ted Overbay, are on the scene.

Continue to check with for the latest updates on this story.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss