NORTON, Va. (WJHL) – The man accused of shooting Norton Police Chief James Lane on May 7, 2021 has been indicted on 17 charges, including attempted murder.
A release from the Office of Commonwealth’s Attorney Chuck Slemp, a Wise County Grand Jury returned the indictments against James Buckland, 36, of Pound, Virginia in relation to the shooting.
The release states that originally, Buckland was charged with three felonies. He waived his right to a preliminary hearing in June.
Slemp previously requested to upgrade Buckland’s charges. That request was approved by the grand jury.
The release states Buckland faces the following charges:
- Attempted Murder of Norton Police Chief James Lane, a law enforcement officer, for the purpose of interfering with his official duties
- Use of a firearm in commission of attempted capital murder
- Possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a violent felony
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Brandishing a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school
- Assault and battery of Norton Police Department Sgt. Jason McConnell
- Use of a firearm in the commission of felony assault and battery of a law enforcement officer
- Aggravated malicious wounding of Norton Police Chief James Lane
- Use of a firearm in the commission of aggravated malicious wounding
- Malicious bodily injury to a law enforcement officer
- Use of a firearm in the commission of malicious bodily injury to a law enforcement officer
- Shooting a firearm into a vehicle
- Shooting a firearm in a street resulting in bodily injury to Norton Police Chief James Lane
- Reckless handling of a firearm with reckless disregard for human life and causing serious injury to Police Chief James Lane
- Disorderly conduct
- Felony destruction of property belonging to the Norton City Police Department
- Use of a firearm in the commission of felony destruction of property
The attempted murder charge carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison, and the aggravated malicious wounding charge could carry a sentence of life in prison.
According to the release, Buckland is scheduled to appear for arraignment on August 23. A trial date will be set for the case on that day.
Buckland remains in the custody of the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail at Duffield.
Chief Lane left Norton Community Hospital on May 28 after he was discharged from the Johnson City Medical Center earlier that month.