Son of Washington County, Tenn. sheriff pleads guilty to simple assault, other charges dismissed


WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL) – The son of Washington County, Tennessee’s sheriff pleaded guilty to simple assault in Washington County court on Monday.

Edwin Graybeal III pleaded guilty to one count of simple assault.

Graybeal’s official misconduct and official oppression charges were dismissed as a part of plea negotiations, according to Graybeal’s attorney.

Graybeal was sentenced to 11 months and 29 days to be served on probation. If his probation is violated, Graybeal will serve 75% of his sentence in jail.

Graybeal was also ordered to write a letter of apology to both the victim and the county.

He was also sentenced to complete 24 hours of training through the Tennessee Correctional Institute and 100 hours of community service.

Graybeal’s charges stemmed from a video that showed him slapping a handcuffed man in 2018.

PREVIOUS: Video shows lieutenant, son of local sheriff, slapping handcuffed man

Graybeal had pleaded not guilty in December 2019 after being indicted on charges of official misconduct and assault.

PREVIOUS: TBI: Son of Washington County, Tenn. sheriff indicted in misconduct case

Chief Deputy Leighta Laitinen told News Channel 11 in September 2019 that Graybeal had self-reported the incident after it happened. Laitinen said he was not suspended at the time.

According to the sheriff’s office, Lt. Graybeal was suspended after he was indicted in the case.

PREVIOUS: Washington Co. Tenn Sheriff’s son pleads not guilty in misconduct case

Graybeal’s attorney indicated that Lieutenant Graybeal would try to eventually return to the sheriff’s office.

Judge Lisa Rice could not weigh in on the matter of Graybeal’s return and deferred the decision to the sheriff’s office.

Graybeal’s attorney assured Judge Rice that the proper protocols for his return were being looked into, since he is the son of the sheriff.

Judge Rice did say in court that she hopes Graybeal has learned a lesson from the ordeal and can move forward.

Graybeal and his attorney gave no comment to News Channel 11 at the courthouse on Monday.

News Channel 11’s Pheben Kassahun will have more on the story Monday night at 5 p.m. on WJHL.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss