SCOTT COUNTY, Va. (WJHL) – One man is dead after authorities said he forced his way into a Southwest Virginia home on Tuesday.

According to the Scott County, Virginia Sheriff’s Office, a man, identified as Jared Scott Dockery, 32, “gained entry into the residence and was shot and killed upon entry.”

The home where Dockery reportedly entered was on Twin Springs Road in Nicklesville.

Authorities said there were two adult women and two small children in the home at the time of the reported break-in. Scott County Sheriff Jeff Edds told News Channel 11’s Bianca Marais that the residents were acquainted with the male subject who attempted to force his way into the home before being fatally shot.

“They was acquainted… but I don’t want to go too far with that right now,” Edds said.

According to Edds and a neighbor, the Twins Springs neighborhood is not the typical scene for incidents such as this.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a high-crime area, it’s a peaceful area, as far as that there near the school, well, that whole area, you know, they have problems every now and then, but nothing to this extent,” Edds said

Lesa Stapleton has lived in the Twin Springs Neighborhood for over 20 years.

“It’s shocking. We’ve never had anything like that before. This is Mayberry, or used to be Mayberry,” she said. “This is the best community that you could ever want to live in. I mean, when it snow, my neighbor below comes with his tractor and scrapes our driveway, we don’t have to worry about it.”

She said she didn’t find out the incident was a shooting until the next day.

“Of course, we knew, there was a lot of police cars going through and a lot of activity, but we didn’t know there was a fatality until today,” Stapleton said.

She added that the neighborhood will be forever changed by this shooting.

“We didn’t use to lock our doors, we’d leave the keys in the car. We don’t anymore. Things have changed,” Stapleton said. “We have security systems, most people in this area now have security systems.”

Dockery was dead by the time deputies arrived at the home.

Authorities reported that the body was sent to Roanoke for an autopsy.

Sheriff Edds told News Channel 11’s Bianca Marais that no charges have been filed in the case and nobody is in custody, pending investigation.

Virginia State Police is assisting the sheriff’s office on the investigation.