GREENE COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL)- A Wednesday night camper fire killed a three-year-old and seriously injured their twin in Greene County. The fire happened on Woolsey Road. Responding deputies described the camper as engulfed in flames.

When responders arrived on scene just after 7 p.m. Wednesday, they found the camper already burned down to the floor.

“Nothing. It’s just all ash,” United VFD Chief Jay Wihlen said of the scene.

Wihlen said the three-year-old twins were inside the camper when it caught fire.

“According to an eyewitness, the father was there. The father rescued the daughter out of the [camper.] And the little boy perished in the fire. He wasn’t able to get to the little boy,” said Wihlen.

The father was identified by authorities as Robert Inbody. He reportedly handed his daughter off to first responders, then fled the scene.

“Right after he rescued the child, he got on a 4-wheeler, and left out through the back field,” said Wihlen.

Authorities weren’t able to locate Inbody immediately afterward. But Greene County Sheriff Wesley Holt said Inbody showed up at the Sheriff’s Department Thursday morning.

The mother of the children was also briefly at the scene Wednesday night and spoke with authorities. Wihlen said it was unclear if she also lived at the residence because she gave authorities conflicting information.

“Everything’s conflicting from the mother with what was going on in that house,” he said.

Police reports say spliced-together extension cords were running between the camper and trailer. In a nearby shed, a welder was hooked up to a generator. Also in the shed – a moonshine still, plus two 55 gallon drums filled with what’s believed to be corn mash.

As for the surviving twin, Wihlen said she was flown to the hospital in Johnson City Wednesday night.

“I don’t know how she is today. Last night when she was transported out, she was burnt over 90% of her body,” he said.

The Greene County Sheriff’s Department and Tennessee Bureau of Investigation were on the scene Thursday morning. Authorities haven’t announced any arrests or charges related to the situation yet.


UPDATE 11:45 A.M. GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL)- Officials with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department report the man authorities had been searching for following the fatal fire Wednesday night has been located.

According to Greene County Sheriff Wesley Holt, the man and reported father of the child that died in Wednesday night’s fire showed up at the Greene County Sheriff’s Department.

No charges have been filed.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates on


UPDATE 10:30 A.M. GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL)- Chief Jay Wihlen with the United Volunteer Fire Department said that a set of twins was involved in Wednesday’s fatal fire on Woolsey Road in Greeneville.

According to Chief Wihlen, one twin was killed in the fire while the other suffered serious burn injuries.

According to fire officials, and as reported by authorities, the father left the scene.

Chief Wihlen reports that officials are still looking for the father.

TBI officials said Thursday the investigation into the cause of the fire still remains active and ongoing.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates on

You can read our previous story below.


GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL)- Officials with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department along with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation are investigating a fatal camper fire that happened Wednesday.

According to a report, there was one child that died in the fire and another person was taken to the hospital.

Third Judicial District Attorney General Dan Armstrong told News Channel 11 Thursday that the camper fire was on Woolsey Road and that no charges are in place at this time.

When deputies arrived on scene, “the camper was fully engulfed in flames,” according to the report.


Authorities said in that report, “Upon further investigation extension cords were found running from the single wide trailer to the camper and had been spliced together. A welder was hooked to a generator. Next to the generator in a shed near the camper. Inside the shed there was a moonshine still along with 2 55 gallon drums full of what is believed to be corn mash”

The report said a complainant stated that the father, “had fled on a 4wheeler.”

No further information was immediately available.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates on