MARION, Va. (WJHL) — A portion of Main Street in Marion was temporarily closed and apartments were evacuated following the discovery of a small gas leak in the kitchen of the General Francis Marion Hotel on Saturday morning, but the scene was cleared an operations are back to normal.

According to the Town of Marion’s spokesperson Ken Heath, apartments surrounding the hotel were initially evacuated out of an abundance of caution. The status of hotel evacuations, if any, was not available.

Main Street was closed from Church Street to Chestnut Street while the Marion Fire Department and EMS awaited Atmos Energy to respond, inspect and make any needed repairs. All streets, businesses and apartments have since returned to normal, Heath said.