(WJHL) – As the area continues to experience heavy flooding, several counties and communities have opened shelters for people needing to evacuate.
The following communities have opened shelters:
- Riverview Elementary/Middle in Grundy
The Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Erwin Church of Christ at 710 Rock Creek Road.
The Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Sneedville First Baptist Church.
The Red Cross has opened a shelter for those displaced by flooding at Wesley United Methodist Church at 225 Princeton Road in Johnson City.
Town of Unicoi
The shelter in Unicoi is located at the Tourist Information Center at 106 Unicoi Village Place off exit 32.
- Big Stone Gap Town Hall
- Coeburn Middle School
- The gym at Appalachia High School is open as a shelter for those who need to relocate.
- Blackey Baptist in the Hurley area
Smyth County, Va.
The Saltville Rescue Squad has opened its doors as a shelter, effective 7 p.m. February 6. It is located at 126 Battleground Avenue.
- Richlands Police Department (emergency)
- Richlands Middle School
- Graham Middle School
- Tazewell County Dept. of Social Services
This list will be updated as News Channel 11 receives information.