KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WJHL) — A teenage boy faces charges after Kingsport police revealed an officer was shot during a struggle Tuesday night.

According to a release from the Kingsport Police Department (KPD), officers responded to a report of a 16-year old boy who allegedly escaped the Department of Children’s Services (DCS) custody in the 700 block of North Eastman Road just after 10 p.m.

Kingsport police reported that an officer spotted the teen while searching the CSX train tracks close to the 1900 block of Lincoln Street; a foot chase followed, according to authorities.

When the officer caught up to the boy and tried to take him into custody, he reportedly resisted arrest.

A struggle ensued, according to the release, and the suspect is accused of attempting to gain control of the officer’s pistol. Kingsport police stated that at some point during that scuffle, the officer’s pistol discharged, hitting the officer in the lower leg.

The KPD stated the wounded officer was taken to a local hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. That officer has since been released. Wednesday afternoon, the KPD chief released the following statement regarding the incident:

As a Chief of Police, being notified, as I was last night, that one of our officers has been shot in the line of duty is most certainly one of my worst nightmares. Having said that, we are eternally grateful that his injuries were not any more serious than they were. He is resting at home and is expected to fully recover. I was able to visit with him last night, and I communicated again with him this morning. He is in good spirits, especially considering the critical nature of what he just went through. Our prayers are with him and his family as he continues to heal, and we anticipate his return to duty. We are also extremely pleased that the juvenile offender responsible for this violent attack on a police officer was successfully apprehended and remains in custody. We look forward to him being charged to the maximum extent of the law.

KPD Chief of Police Dale Phipps

The TBI revealed Wednesday morning that the boy was also taken to the hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries sustained during the incident.

The TBI will continue to investigate the incident independently and will share findings with 2nd District Attorney General Barry Staubus. The agency does not identify officers involved in these types of incidents.

Staubus told News Channel 11 that the office cannot disclose the charges the teen faces due to the ongoing investigation.

Further updates will be posted on the TBI’s Newsroom webpage and on