UPDATE: Several taken to hospital due to carbon monoxide at Kingsport apartments

Local

KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WJHL) – Several people were taken to a hospital due to carbon monoxide at a Kingsport apartment complex.

The Kingsport Fire Department responded around 4:20 p.m. to the complex near Cherokee and Watauga Streets.

The fire department says a cleanup crew was using gas-powered generators to remove water from the basement without adequate ventilation, causing carbon monoxide to spread throughout the building.

The apartments were evacuated and seven people were taken to a hospital according to KFD. Their conditions are unknown at this time. Another 10 people were assessed at the scene.

Firefighters ventilated the building and left the scene.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss