Lightened Coconut Cream Pie Recipe:
1 serving = 1/8th of pie
· 1 c ground nuts
· ½ c graham cracker crumbs
· 3 Tb sweetener
· 2 Tb butter, melted
Combine ingredients, press into pan. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely.
· 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
· 2 Tb sweetener
· 2 cups fat free plain Greek yogurt, divided
· 1 package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
· 1 ¾ c skim milk
· ¾ c toasted coconut flakes, divided
· ¼ tsp coconut extract
· 1 ½ c Cool Whip
1. Beat cream cheese and sweetener until smooth. Mix in 1 c Greek yogurt. Spread over base of prepared pie crust.
2. Add milk to pudding mix, whisk until well combined. Stir in coconut extract, 1 c Greek yogurt, and ½ c toasted coconut. Pour over cream cheese layer.
3. Top with Cool Whip or whipped cream, sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill at least 4 hours.
What makes it a “lighter” recipe?
Changes including using reduced fat dairy, Stevia instead of added sugar, sugar free pudding base, replacing nuts for a portion of the crust, using yogurt instead of Cool Whip make a significant difference in the nutritional quality of this recipe and reduce the carb count and saturated fat by nearly half, making this a healthier treat for people with diabetes.