3 suspects in drive-by shooting that killed 10-year-old Carter Co. girl to appear in court Jan. 8


CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL) – The three men charged with killing a 10-year-old girl in a drive-by shooting on November 17 appeared in court Wednesday.

Jason Barber II, Jediah Glover and Zachary Scalf were all given a preliminary court hearing date of January 8.

Photos: Carter County Sheriff’s Office (from left to right: Jediah Glover, Jason Barber, Zachary Scalf)

All three men have been charged with the following:

  • First-Degree Murder
  • Possessing a firearm during the commission of a dangerous felony
  • 8 counts of reckless endangerment/aggravated assault
  • Criminal conspiracy to commit murder

The charges stem from a drive-by shooting on Blevins Road that resulted in the death of Lillyhanna Davis. Investigators say the home was shot at 21 times.

Barber, 18, and Glover, 20, are also charged with an additional two counts of reckless endangerment/aggravated assault each and an additional count of aggravated assault. Those are in relation to what Carter County Sheriff Dexter Lunceford referred to as a “somewhat related shooting” on Swimming Pool Road.

The state is pursuing first-degree murder charges against all three men.

“Obviously as the investigation develops, if something were to change that, then we would maybe re-evaluate. But as it stands right now, with what we know, first-degree murder, we think, is the appropriate charge,” said Tim Horne, an assistant district attorney for the First Judicial District.

The trio is accused of carrying out the drive-by shooting on November 17th. Shots were fired into the home on Blevins Road, with one bullet striking and killing Davis as she was asleep on the couch.

Court documents say seven other people were inside the home at the time, and the shooting was planned and carried out as revenge for another shooting incident that had happened on Halloween night.

“I think there’s going to be a multitude, a gamut, of evidentiary items that have been collected and that the state will continue to collect as the case progresses. By all means, they are not done with the investigation,” said Horne.

Wednesday’s court appearance involved working out scheduling conflicts for the different attorneys representing the suspects, as all three men will continue to appear in court together. Next comes their preliminary hearing to determine if the case will be bound over to a grand jury.

“We’ll put our witnesses up there, and we’ll put forth what we know as of this time,” said Horne.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss