School officials: Greeneville High School lockdown lifted; student in custody


GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL) — The Greeneville Police Department (GPD) announced Tuesday morning at 7:21 a.m. that Greeneville High School was on lockdown.

According to Greeneville City Schools officials, the administration learned Tuesday morning a report of a student’s intent to bring a weapon to school.

The school was immediately placed on lockdown, and the student is now in custody with the Greeneville police for questioning.

“We responded our patrol shift, the detectives — everyone here responded to the school,” Captain Tim Davis of the Greeneville Police Department said.

The GPD along with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department continue to search the school with canine officers.

“Once it was determined there was not a credible threat, the lockdown was lifted and school operations resumed,” Greeneville City Schools Director Steve Starnes said.

All students and staff are safe, the school system said.

The lockdown at Greeneville High School has been lifted and all students and staff are safe. This morning, Greeneville High School administration received a report of a student’s intent to bring a weapon into the school. The school was immediately placed on lockdown, and the Greeneville Police Department was notified. The Greeneville Police Department quickly responded and took the student into custody without incident. A very thorough search was conducted by the Greeneville Police Department with assistance from the Greene County Sheriff’s Department weapon-sniffing canine. Once it was determined that there was not a credible threat, the lockdown was lifted, and school operations resumed.

GHS administrators, students, teachers and employees did a commendable job following our safety protocol. I cannot say enough to express our appreciation for the Greeneville Police Department. They did an excellent job.

At the time the situation was taking place, the entire GCS administration team was working with GHS administrators to ensure the safety of the students and employees already inside the school when the school went into lockdown. The timing of the situation created a complex situation that required school and district leaders to be fully engaged with the GPD and to provide student monitoring and assistance. During any school crisis or event, school and district leaders must be fully focused on keeping people safe above all else. We are deeply grateful for the efforts of everyone involved and are thankful that this situation ended as it did.

State from Greeneville City Schools Director Steve Starnes

Because of the student’s age, officials would not release information about his identity or potential school discipline he will face. However — Captain Davis confirmed that the student is facing juvenile charges and believes that charge could be the adult equivalent of false reporting.

Captain Davis said that this is the first incident of its kind at a Greeneville City School, that he can recall. He credited the success of Tuesday’s operation to the training of his officers and their relationship with the school district.

“Everything went as smoothly as it could possibly go this morning — a few hiccups here and there — but we were able to get in, get things secured very quickly and no one got hurt,” he said.

According to Captain Davis, the Greene County Juvenile Court System will be presiding over the case that stems from the incident.

This is a developing story. Stay updated on-air and on

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss