Ghost pepper burns hole in man’s esophagus

News
ghost-pepper_225955

(KRON)—Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital.

That is exactly what recently happened to one man.

The details came out during a study by UCSF.

The culprit is a ghost pepper.

The man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest.

It was so hot it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.

This is how hot the pepper is.

In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at one million.

A habanero comes in at half-a-million.

A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss