JOHNSON CITY – “2016: An Election Unlike Any Other?” is the focus of a faculty panel discussion to be held at East Tennessee State University on Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 7 p.m. in the D.P. Culp University Center’s Martha Street Culp Auditorium.
This free public event is sponsored by the “ETSU Votes” planning team and the Student Government Association.
“ETSU Votes,” a program designed to increase voter turnout among students, is part of “SoCon Votes,” a competition among Southern Conference member institutions to see which schools generate the highest and most improved voter turnout during the 2016 presidential election.
Faculty panelists will deliver presentations between 7 and 8 p.m., followed by a one-hour question-and-answer session.
The panel will be moderated by Dr. Andrew Battista, associate professor and chair of ETSU’s Department of Political Science, International Affairs and Public Administration. Also a panelist, he will deliver a presentation on “The 2016 Election in Historical Perspective.”
Additional panelists and their presentation topics are:
- Dr. Colin Glennon, assistant professor, Department of Political Science, International Affairs and Public Administration – “The 2016 Election and the Supreme Court”;
- Dr. Michele Crumley, associate professor, Department of Political Science, International Affairs and Public Administration – “The 2016 Election and International Relations”;
- Robert Houk, opinion page editor of the Johnson City Press and former adjunct professor of journalism – “The 2016 Election and the Mass Media”;
- Dr. Daryl Carter, associate professor, Department of History – “The 2016 Election and Racial and Class Politics”; and
- Dr. Martha Copp, professor, Department of Sociology and Anthropology – “The 2016 Election and Gender Politics.”
For more information, call Dr. Carla Warner, leader of the “ETSU Votes” planning team and director of Adult, Commuter and Transfer Services at ETSU, at 423-439-5641. For disability accommodations, call the ETSU Office of Disability Services at 423-439-8346. Additional information on “ETSU Votes” is available at www.etsu.edu/etsuvotes.
# # #