Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect new information that Ferranti did report as required last year in Carter County, where he lives.

JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. (WJHL) — A convicted sex offender was arrested after police reportedly found him working at a Washington County, Tennessee school for a contractor.

According to Sheriff Keith Sexton with the Washington County, Tennessee Sheriff’s Office (WCSO), Cory Ferranti, 39, of Hampton, was arrested after a school resource officer found that he was working at the school.

The SRO at South Central Elementary School notified the sheriff’s office after the school’s screening program, Raptor Visitor Management System, flagged Ferranti as an offender.

“They have an identification system where they actually check driver’s license, and it will notify the school board or the school system that he’s a registered sex offender,” said Capt. Chris Stine with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. “And they come to our school resource officer who then notified us.”

Police reportedly discovered Ferranti was a convicted sex offender and reported that he had not reported to law enforcement since January 2021. Tennessee law requires offenders on the state registry to report to law enforcement every year at a required time.

However, News Channel 11 learned that Ferranti had reported in Carter County in 2022 as required, according to the Carter County Sheriff’s Office.

He was charged with violation of the sex offender registry at the time of his arrest.

Ferranti was working with a contracting company to upgrade the school’s health clinic bathroom and was in the building while students were at the school, police report.

Superintendent of Washington County Schools Jerry Boyd said Ferranti was never in contact with the children while he was in the building.

“Yes, students were in the school building,” said Boyd. “It was their first day back from their Christmas break. But, no, opportunity to interact with students.”

Boyd said this is an example of the system working as it’s intended to.

“The screening process and protocols in place certainly did what it was intended to do,” said Boyd. “I’m thankful for the school staff in making sure that they’re very diligent about that and then the support of the SRO and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.”

Ferranti appeared in court on Jan. 5 and was appointed a public defender. He is currently out of jail on bond.

Ferranti is scheduled to appear in court again on Feb. 21.