JOHNSON CITY-TN, In front of 2,815 fans Saturday afternoon inside the MSHA Athletic Center, the Blue team (offense) rallied from an early 27-7 deficit to defeat the Gold team (defense) as freshman kicker Landon Kunak (Spartanburg, S.C.) made the game-winning field goal to cap off a 31-30 comeback in the MSHA Blue-Gold Spring Game.
• The Bucs racked up 388 yards of total offense Saturday, including 315 through the air.
• ETSU’s quarterbacks Austin Herink (Cleveland, Tenn.) and Nick Sexton (Seymour, Tenn.) combined to connect on 27 of their 40 pass attempts on the afternoon. Both signal callers also tossed a touchdown pass in the contest. Dylan Wieger (Kingsport, Tenn.) completed four of his seven pass attempts for 44 yards.
• Wide receiver Hunter Wike (Canton, N.C.) paced the team on the ground gaining 28 yards on three carries, including a 14-yard run. Matt Thompson (Morristown, Tenn.) and Cory Colder (Ashburn, Va.) notched rushing touchdowns for the Bucs … Colder capped off a 10-play, 55-yard scoring drive with a 7-yard run in the third quarter, while Thompson recorded a five-yard scamper in the fourth quarter.
• Vincent Lowe (Chesapeake, Va.) was the top target of Herink and Sexton as he hauled in six receptions for 73 yards and a touchdown. Lowe also registered the longest pass of the game – a 33-yard reception from Sexton.
• In addition to Lowe, Wike and Hank Black (Knoxville, Tenn.) also were threats in the passing game as they both caught four passes … Wike finished with 36 receiving yards, while Black tallied 19 with a touchdown … Malik Styles (Dandridge, Tenn.) also finished with three catches for 45 yards.
• Defensively, ETSU made 81 total tackles with two sacks, two interceptions and one fumble recovery.
• Linebackers River Boruff (Sparta, Tenn.) and Dylan Weigel (Pickerington, Ohio) led the team with six tackles each and both players also tallied a stop behind the line of scrimmage.
• The Bucs’ two sacks in the contest were by Trey Quillin (New Albany, Ohio) and Jason Maduafokwa (Seymour, Tenn.) … The two sacks by Quillin and Maduafokwa totaled for a loss of eight yards.
• The Gold team notched 18 of its points thanks to a pair of interceptions by Tavian Lott (D’Lo, Miss.) and Paul Hunter (Denton, Texas) … Lott picked off Herink on the fifth play of the game and returned it 28 yards for the touchdown, while Hunter intercepted a pass from Sexton.
• As a team the Bucs’ defense made 11 tackles for loss – two of which came from Tremond Ferrell (Washington, Ga.).
• To go with his game-winning 37-yard field goal as time expired, Kunak also made his three extra-point attempts … Marion Watson (Waxhaw, N.C.) made his lone extra-point attempt.
Courtesy: East Tennessee State Athletics