CARTER COUNTY, TN (WJHL) - A man who was shot and killed at a McDonald's/gas station parking lot in Carter County, TN, on Friday was identified through a court document Monday morning.
Steve Mack Miller, 64, Hampton, was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Alan Lyle Jansma, according to a court document obtained from Carter County Sessions Court.
The shooting happened Friday afternoon in the parking lot at McDonald's, 110 First Ave., Hampton. When sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene Miller was "on the ground in a prone position with his arms out to his side."
Deputies found Jansma dead.
According to the court document, the two men began arguing after Jansma kicked a woman's car.
"Miller stated that Jansma came toward him and had something black in his hand," according to the court document. "Miller stated that he un-holstered his Glock 9mm and shot Jansma once and he didn't go down so he shot him two more times until he went to the ground. The object that Mr. Jansma had in his hand was identified as bear repellant spray and was found with his body at the scene."
Miller was being held in the Carter County jail on $400,000 bond. His hearing was scheduled for Sept. 24 in Sessions Court.
- Elizabethton Police investigating morning shooting in Walmart parking lot
- ETSU will face Jacksonville State in first round of FCS playoffs
- TBI Top 10 suspect wanted for child rape now in custody
- UPDATE: Police locate vehicle of missing man found dead in Blowing Rock
- Smyth county gets approval to open needle exchange
- VSP: Teen killed, 4 others injured in early morning crash in Washington County
- Bucs fall to Samford, still win first-ever share of SoCon title
- "Urgent Need" for wreaths to honor veterans this holiday season
- WATCH: ETSU football player proposes to girlfriend after Samford game
State troopers say one lane of Interstate 81 is closed due to a sinkhole.Read More »
Smyth County plans to open the state's third needle exchange.Read More »