BRISTOL, VA (WJHL) - Two Virginia men arrested after trying to solicit sex, with who they believed to be children, on social media.
The Bristol, Virginia Police Department's Vice/Narcotics Unit say they used multiple social media platforms to have conversations with two male suspects. During these conversations both suspects, Abe L. States, 26, of Bristol, VA and Rodney E. Kennedy, 36, of Bristol, VA, proposed meetings with the detectives who they believed to be children.
Detectives say both suspects expressed their desire to have sexual intercourse with whom they thought was a child.
When the suspects arrived to meet the child, they were met with detective and arrested.
Abe States is charged with three counts of using a communications device to commit certain offenses against children as well as resisting arrest. States is a convicted sex offender and will likely face more charges related to his probation.
Rodney Kennedy is charged with four counts of using a communications device to commit certain offenses against children. He is also charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. Detectives later learned Kennedy is a fugitive from Sullivan County, TN for failing to appear on a charge of aggravated kidnapping.
Both are being held without bond in the Bristol, VA City Jail.
- Kingsport couple plans to visit 6 Disney parks on 2 coasts in 1 day
- Vacation Nightmare: Bristol woman fighting for life after brain aneurysm in Caribbean
- Mother, children found dead in apparent murder suicide in Tennessee
- Johnson City woman arrested; charged after allegedly stabbing her husband
- Brothers Remembered: Greene County family shares memories of boys killed in house fire
- Mega Millions jackpot increases to $667 million
- WWII vet Anderson receives Congressional Gold Medal
- Tennessee early voting begins Wednesday
- Musket Bowl nominated for Titans Game of the Week and chance at $1,000
Chuckey-Doak's season comes to an end in double overtimeRead More »
South Greene wins in the opening roundRead More »
The Assistance and Resources Ministry, A.R.M., is running low on donation money ahead of the holiday season, meanwhile their client reach has gradually increased.Read More »
Students at Elizabethton High School received an incredible opportunity Tuesday, their hard work to solve a string of murders dating back to the 1980's caught the attention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).Read More »
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The chief of the Sullivan County Volunteer Fire Department requested to step down Tuesday afternoon, according to the fire department's Facebook page.Read More »