ABINGDON, Va. (WJHL) - A Southwest Virginia doctor has been convicted of more than five dozen counts of drug crimes and other charges.
Dr. Dwight Bailey, 65, of Lebanon, Va. was convicted Wednesday of all 63 counts charged against him in U.S. District Court in Abingdon.
Prosecutors accuse Bailey of illegally prescribing drugs to patients at his two rural healthcare practices in Lebanon. They say he wrote prescriptions for opiates, benzodiazepines, and sleeping pills to patients who were clearly abusing and misusing the drugs.
According to prosecutors, Bailey operated Family Healthcare Associates of Southwest VA and Ridgewood Health Care Clinic in Lebanon.
Bailey was convicted of federal drug and healthcare fraud charges. Sentencing is scheduled for January 3, 2019.
- PHOTOS: FBI, Elizabethton police search for Carter County Bank robbery suspect
- Large police presence at the scene of Johnson City apartment complex
- NEW AT 6P: Former Bristol, Va., Councilman Fleenor speaks to WJHL
- Johnson City Commission to appoint new member Thursday
- Hog Wild property donated to local non-profit
- Smithfield employee accused of urinating on production line
- Sullivan County volunteer fire chief steps down after DUI charge
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $900M
- Kingsport couple plans to visit 6 Disney parks on 2 coasts in 1 day
Pro-am on Thursday will raise money for the Susan G. Komen breast cancer awareness foundationRead More »
Sanchez, had 308 all-purpose yards and 4 total touchdowns.Read More »
For the first time we're hearing from a grieving mother who said her teenage daughter died from a form of synthetic marijuana.Read More »
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Patchy frost will be possible overnightRead More »
The Bucs defeated the Catamounts (10-10, 4-5 SoCon) in three sets (25-19, 25-20, 25-21) to earn their 12th sweep of the season.Read More »