KINGSPORT, TN (WJHL) -- City leaders in Kingsport have voted to rezone a prime piece of real estate to make way for more businesses.
During tonight's Board of Mayor and Aldermen meting, the rezoning was officially approved.
The piece of land is located at the corner of Eastman Road and Fort Henry Drive. It includes more than four acres and several houses.
Last month, the city's planning commission voted to recommend the board not approve the request, but that changed during tonight's meeting and it was a decision some weren't happy about.
However, Kingsport Mayor John Clark says he sees an opportunity.
"Kingsport wants to be business friendly," Clark told News Channel 11. "We want to be developer friendly some of the resident there are renters may not have been in favor of it i think the board felt that it was in the best interest of our city to use that commercial property for business."
The rezoning will make way for a new pharmacy, restaurant and other future businesses.
- Lee County Schools files lawsuit against state for rejecting plan to arm teachers
- Sullivan County BOE meets with an attorney during a special called meeting
- Charge upgraded against woman accused of putting baby in freezer
- JCPD conducting school bus stop checks
- Scott County, VA mother sentenced for abuse that permanently blinded baby
- RECALL ALERT: FDA issues several recalls for dry dog food
- Day 2: Suspect's grandfather takes the stand at Sullivan County triple murder trial
- AAA: Gas prices rise slightly; Johnson City among highest in state
- Storm Team 11 Forecast: Variable cloudy skies and cold overnight
Tennessee last won 11 straight in the 2007-08 season.Read More »
The current plan by the Sullivan County School Board is to use money from their fund balance for the sewer line from the school to Bristol's wastewater treatment.Read More »
Passing clouds and cold overnightRead More »
Steve Johnson, the developer of The Pinnacle retail development in Bristol, Tennessee is prepared to develop his property near Interstate 81's Exit 1 in Washington County, Virginia.Read More »