(WJHL)- Below is a list updated daily of events and schools that are closing due to concerns over coronavirus. If you have a submission you would like to add, you can e-mail email@example.com.
– Community –
Grandfather Mountain in Linville, N.C.
- The park will close for two weeks, beginning March 15.
- Public access from both the main entrance and hiking trails will be prohibited.
- Some staffing will remain on site.
Greeneville Skate Park and Pavilion
- Closed until further notice.
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- The ATC Visitor Center in Harpers Ferry will be closed until at least March 20.
- The 2020 Flip Flop Festival has also been canceled.
Greene County Partnership Appraisal Fair
- Initially set for March 21
- Postponed until Summer
- Click here for updates
Johnson City Public Library
- “We are sad to say that we’ll be closing our doors tomorrow until further notice. It was a hard decision for us, but ultimately we know it’s the right thing to do out of concern for our community’s wellbeing. We will continue to update you on our plans and online resources through our website and social media “
Washington County Virginia Government Offices
- County Government Offices will be closed to the public.
- Employees will be teleworking when possible, or work on a varied schedule.
- Building Services, Zoning, and Water & Erosion Settlement Control will continue to receive applications and request only via email and a physical drop-box located outside the office’s main entrance.
- Solid Waste Services & Convenience Stations will remain open on a regular schedule.
- Information Systems Department will remain on a regular schedule.
- Department of Emergency Management and Law Enforcement will operate as normal.
- Recreation Department has suspended all after-school programs and all spring sports programs.
- Washington County Park opening will be delayed to May 1st.
- The Planning Commission meeting on March 23rd is canceled.
- All Board Advisory Committee Meetings are canceled for the month of March.
- The Voter Registrar’s Office will begin absentee voting on Friday, March 20, 2020.
Humane Society Dogwood Cattail Ball – Postponed
- The new date will be August 1, 2020
Health Wagon Community Health Fair events March 12, 13- Canceled
- ” The annual community health fairs scheduled for March 12 and 13 are cancelled due for precautionary measures regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). This is a novel coronavirus that has not been previously identified and is spread by person to person contact via respiratory droplets. The Health Wagon is taking every measure possible to prevent a local outbreak. “
Johnston Memorial Hospital Shamrock 4 Miler and Leprechaun Walk, presented by Blue Ridge Auto Group on Friday, March 13. – Canceled
- “Out of an abundance of caution, Ballad Health is following current CDC/WHO guidelines regarding the novel coronavirus and large gatherings and is canceling the annual Johnston Memorial Hospital Shamrock 4 Miler and Leprechaun Walk, presented by Blue Ridge Auto Group on Friday, March 13.”
Town of Greeneville suspends all Greeneville Parks & Recreaction games, practices, and events effective immediately
- This suspension is in effect through Friday, March 20, 2020.
Crumley House Joggin’ for the Noggin! 5k Run/Walk postponed amid COVID-19 Virus concerns
- Originally scheduled for Saturday, March 28, Crumley House officials will work with race planners to secure another date for the event.
Carter Family Fold
United Way of Southwest Virginia postpones Impact Awards celebration
- ” Friends and partners, as you are aware, we are in the midst of a COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. As a result, we are postponing the Impact Awards celebration scheduled for April 7. We will make efforts to hold this annual event in the months to come and will keep you updated.”
Washington County Ag Appreciation Dinner postponed
- “The Washington County Ag Appreciation Dinner that was scheduled for tonight at the Appalachian Fair in Gray is being postponed due to the coronavirus and health concerns. A makeup date will be announced at a later time. Attendees are encouraged to keep their tickets. “
The Shepherd’s Inn Annual Saint Paddy’s Lunch Inn Fundraiser postponed
- “Due to the concerns associated with the COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS), the Annual Saint Paddy’s Lunch Inn Fundraiser scheduled for Friday, March 20th, is postponed. The event will be re-scheduled. This popular fundraiser is a benefit for The Shepherd’s Inn – Safe House/Emergency Shelter for women and their children coming from domestic violence settings or otherwise temporarily homeless.“
Southern Appalachian Ronald McDonald House Charities, Inc. cancels St. Patrick’s Day Bash event
- “As an organization, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our St. Patrick’s Day Bash event scheduled for today Friday, March 13th. The health and safety of our attendees, volunteers and staff is our highest priority. As the Coronavirus continues to be a concern within our communities and across the world, we feel this is the correct decision, although very difficult.”
Elizabethton Women’s Civic Club’s 4th Annual Arts & Crafts Festival
- The event previously scheduled for March 20, 21 has been canceled
All Johnson City Public Library Events Canceled Through April 6, 2020
- ” In response to the threat of COVID-19, Johnson City Public Library is canceling all events and programs effective immediately until Monday, April 6, 2020. One-on-one computer and reference consultations will continue as scheduled.”
Rocky Mount State Historic Site’s event “Hearthside Cooking” – Postponed
YMCA of Bristol CLOSED March 17-March 29
Hands On! Discovery Center CLOSED March 18-31
Food For the Multitude not serving Saturday meals for the remainder of the month
- “Our organization in Elizabethton, Food for the Multitude will not be serving Saturday meals at the TLC Center in Elizabethton for the remainder of the month of March due to the Coronavirus Situation. “
JCMLL is suspending all practices that were scheduled for this weekend and next week of (13-22 March)
- ” We have not made any decisions about the timing of opening day, but we are closely following the guidance from our local health departments, the JC school system and Little League International. Please understand that while we are anxious to start the season because we all love the game, we are choosing to prioritize the health of our families and communities. We will share more information as the situation evolves. “
The Coomes Recreation Center will close March 14 at 5 p.m. and remain closed until March 29
Kingsport YMCA closes facilities until March 30
Chick-fil-A at the Johnson City Crossing closed the dining area
- Drive-through and mobile curbside options are available
Greeneville-Greene County Humane Society’s Adoption Center will temporarily close to the public effective Tuesday, March 17
- While the Adoption Center is closed to the public, staff will still be available to answer phones and answer any questions or concerns the public may have from 12 pm to 3 pm Tuesday through Saturday. Call (423)639-4771.
– Schools –
Va. Governor Northam orders all schools to be closed for ‘minimum of two weeks’
- You can find the full story HERE.
ETSU to move to online courses March 23
- East Tennessee State University announced plans to move to online classes as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Details HERE.
UVA-Wise moving to online classes for possibly the remainder of the semester
- Officials with UVA-Wise announced Wednesday that they would offer classes online for possibly the rest of the semester, “In response to the growing concerns about the spread of the COVID-19 virus.”
- Full story on WJHL.com here.
VHCC extending spring break by one week, classes resume March 23
- According to an update from VHCC’s president Dr. Adam Hutchison, classes will resume in their original format on Monday, March 23.
Coronavirus concerns prompt Milligan to extend spring break, move to online classes through April 5
- In a statement on Milligan’s website, they said in part, “today the senior administration of Milligan College made the difficult decision to extend Spring Break an additional week through March 20 and transition to online classes following spring break through April 5.”
8th Grade Career Expo in Sullivan County – Canceled
- The Kingsport Chamber of Commerce says Eastman has canceled its 8th Grade Career Fair that was scheduled for this week. According to the chamber, Eastman cited the recent confirmation of a COVID-19 case in Sullivan County as the reason for canceling the event.
King University Holocaust Speakers – Canceled
- King University says Holocaust survivor Peter Gorog, who was scheduled to speak at the university on Monday, March 23, will be unable to appear.
- The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum’s Office of Survivor Affairs has canceled all planned survivor travel.
- King will try to host Gorog at a future date.
King University extends spring break
- King will extend Spring Break for traditional students by one week.
- All traditional classes converted to distance mode will begin Monday, March 23rd.
- At this time, King seeks to resume face-to-face instruction on campus April 20th, to allow time for reviews, exams, etc., and, for graduates, Baccalaureate and Commencement to follow. These plans are certainly fluid in relation to developments related to COVID-19.
Tusculum University moving to online classes
- Tusculum University announced late Thursday that it will be transitioning to online classes due to concerns over the COVID-19 coronavirus.
All Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technologies and all community colleges except two will extend spring break until March 20.
- Walters State Community College will proceed with online classes March 16
- Cleveland State Community College extends spring break until March 17 and will proceed with online classes March 18.
- TCAT Elizabethton providing online instruction during pandemic, and new student orientation will be held after March 31
For more TCAT information, CLICK HERE.
Virginia Highlands Community College extended spring break to March 20
Central Baptist Preschool in Johnson City closed March 17-April 6
– Churches –
Colonial Heights Presbyterian Church
- Services on Sunday and Wednesday will be streamed online only until March 31
- No in-person services or activities will be conducted until after March 31
- As of now, the church’s garage sale will not happen
Covenant Presbyterian Church, Johnson City
- Worship services canceled for Sunday, March 15 and Sunday, March 22.
First United Methodist Church in Johnson City- Services canceled through March 22
- Church officials said in an e-mail, ” Services at First United Methodist Church, 900 Spring St Johnson City will cancel all services through March 22 as requested by our Bishop, Mary Virginia Taylor. ”
- They added that the services are being canceled in an “attempt to protect elderly members”
Grace Fellowship Church in Johnson City moving to online services for March 15, 22
- You can find the full story on WJHL.com HERE.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church – Johnson City will not have services on March 15
First Broad Street United Methodist Church has canceled worship services for March 15 and March 22.
St. John Lutheran Church in Abingdon canceled services March 15
- Live streaming of services at 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. will be available via Facebook.
Oak Grove Christian Church on Jim Elliot Road in Johnson City canceled services March 15
Central Baptist Church on North Roan in Johnson City canceled church services for March 15
St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Elizabethton – will suspend services and meetings through Saturday, March 28 while taking this opportunity to clean and disinfect.For details, click here.
Gravelly Baptist Church in Kingsport will be moving to online services only through March 25
Holston View United Methodist Church will not have services March 15 and 21
Diocese of Knoxville suspends Sunday Mass March 14-15, 21-22, and March 28-29
- Mass will still be celebrated for those who wish to attend, but Catholics are dispensed from obligation of attending due to health concerns
- You can find more information HERE
Grace of God Church is closed until April 5
Kingsport First Assembly of God
- All services canceled through March 31.
Diocese of Knoxville – All public masses canceled effective March 20
First Presbyterian Church of Kingsport
- All church services, events, and activities canceled through April 5.