GATLINBURG (WATE) - Firefighters battled a blaze at a Gatlinburg Condominium Complex Wednesday morning.
The Gatlinburg Fire Department sent out an all call about the fire at 6:09 a.m. Wednesday at the Gatlinburg Summit Condominiums located on the 1200 block of Ski View Drive.
According to officials, the fire was contained to one building, and was brought under control by about 10:00 a.m. by the Gatlinburg Fire Department with assistance from the Pigeon Forge Fire Department.
Officials say the building involved had 24 units, 12 of which were involved, and four of the units were occupied. Three were occupied by tourists and one was a permanent residence.
A neighboring building suffered minor damage.
The fire allegedly started from a microwave before spreading to a couch. The occupants of the condo attempted to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful.
Three people had to be rescued from a second story balcony by a ground ladder, and were checked for smoke inhalation. No one was injured, and the Red Cross is assisting the families.
The building was cleared at 3:30 p.m., and control was returned to The Summit management.
338 E Main Street
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.